Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Social Shorthand

They'll speak their own language. They'll feel each other's pain. They'll always have a special bond. They'll always have a best friend.

Ask any twin parent, and they'll testify; as soon as a multiples pregnancy is announced, those legendary lifelong predictions are made. The fascination with children that arrive in pairs is undeniable (seen any news on Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt lately?); subsequently, as a byproduct of all the associated assignations, parents expect, and often, project.

Today, we're spending the afternoon at The Playroom, a destination requested close-to-daily by our duo (and one conceived of and owned by a fellow twin-blessed family). As I strategically sit on the perimeter of the play area, I can observe a la Jane Goodall how my little monkeys behave in the wild. When one falls off the bounce house platform, does the other wince in pain across the room? Do they gravitate to the same structures and sensations? Are they a mini-herd unto themselves? After close to two hours of scrutiny, here are the results of my research:

They will pursue their individual interests...

(If they don't offer a "zookeeper" option on future career days, I'm unsure what Darren will do...)

(Surrounded by bouncy castles and playhouses, God love her, Sarah still gravitates to the art supplies.)

They will dip toes and explore different opportunities with other members of the group...

(Or in Sarah's case, at least share the art supplies with others...)

They'll re-venture out for some solo time...


But at the end of the day, their lack of twin-language and synchronously experienced pain aside, they do share a special bond. They are each other's best friend.

post signature

6 comments:

Tracy said...

What great pictures! I know you know this, but your kids are adorable.

Makes me excited for someday...

Threeundertwo said...

yes yes yes! That bond is so wonderful to watch. It's made an amateur anthropologist out of me too.

Great pictures. Love the missing tooth.

Unknown said...

Oh I constantly think that my two experience pain when the other one does! Just tonight, J hurt his mouth on something and cut his lip - S was playing by herself - nothing in her mouth - but when he started to cry - so did she and her hands immediately went to her mouth too and she winced in pain! And if S gets hurt...J almost always freaks out more than she did!

Cheryl Lage said...

Do they really, Barb? That is kind of cool! When feelings are hurt, the twin-sib DEFINITELY steps to, and "feels it," but with physical pain, not so much. (Sarah's had two broken bones, and tonight a badly sprained ankle...Darren is having nothing to do with it!)

Anonymous said...

This is sweet, and something I always wonder about and never get to observe firsthand. Oh, how I wish Sam would head to the art supplies ever!

Laura said...

This is so cute. I love that they are best friends. I bet they give a good gigglefest.
I have a pair of identical twin nieces and when they are laughing really hard together it's like a big shot of happy spreads in the room. (Yes, I meant a big shot of happy.)

Great stuff.