Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My Territorial Twin

Amidst all the Apollo 11 anniversary excitement---we were all over We Choose the Moon -- this, from our littlest astronaut...

Sarah: "So why did they put an American flag on the moon?"

Mommy: "Can you imagine how hard it was to figure out how to get a rocket to the moon? Or how incredibly brave the men had to be to be willing to try and be the first ones to walk on it? It was such an accomplishment, Sarah...and I don't think I really understood it when it happened (I was only 4). Now I'm amazed by it. It was kind of a contest to see what country could get there first, and America was the first."

Sarah: "Mom, they were first, so they put the flag there because the moon is OURS."

Mommy: "Everyone on the earth enjoys the moon. It doesn't really belong to anyone."

Sarah (muttered under her breath as she walked away): "If you get there first, it's yours...."

post signature

8 comments:

Devri said...

rofl I am crackin up over here, she is too cute!

Hey thanks lady! Yippee I won! I won I won! Now I have something to do with while my break is healing! yay!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I agree, I think it's ours!

monica said...

Common since says it's ours but sometimes we have to share!! Love the way she thinks.

SouthernDogwoods said...

Agreed! How cool are we? We got there first! (I bet there were a few men at NASA wanting to say Nah, Nah, Boo, Boo!)
Sharing - young and old have to do it and it does not get easier.

cat said...

My mom tell my my dad was sitting with 6 month old me on his lap, listening to it on the radio - we had no TV back then is South Africa.

Unknown said...

LOL!! I imagine that creed is believed by many a child! ;-)

noble pig said...

I'm sorry but she's right.

Tracy said...

Duh, Mom! ;)