Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Balancing My Business

Last year, quite unpredictably, I returned to the out-of-home, full-time workforce. Despite the titular tease, this opinionated oration will not be another diva-composed diatribe rehashing yet again the frustration borne from attempts to effectively juggle both occupation and offspring. Ladies, this one's quite literal---truly about the division of my dollars.

Be not deceived: corporations are people. Sure, it may be easy to villify and dehumanize them---you certainly hear it daily in the news. Link them to soylent green if you must, but corporations are made of people.

Fully prepared to lose followers with this confession, but fully believing the truth will set me free: I love Walmart.

How's that for a pooh-pooh to popular hip parenting, anti-financial success propaganda? Naturally, the prices are a lure, but Walmart---our Walmart---is made of people.

People who've known my twins since our near daily trips in the double stroller. People who hug them---and me---on sight. People who ask---and genuinely care---about my husband's health. People who exclaim how unbelievably tall the kids have grown. People who've electively retained jobs for at least 9+ years that the media populace actively leads audiences to believe are unbearable and inhumane. Walmart is made of people; and I patronize them with unapologetic pride.
Honesty again at the fore, we're not all about the savings.

Bargains are appreciated, but maybe even more so, businesses that intentionally fill---if not create---a needed niche. Storefronts that are neighbors...people.

Within walking distance of our home are:

...a coffee shop, complete with play space and rotating art exhibits by local artists, run by Mr. Jerry.

...a wine shop, run by Mr. Bob, who doles out Tootsie Roll Pops to underage customers and projects family-suitable movies on a flanking brick wall outdoors Friday nights during the summer. His dog, a King Charles spaniel named "Mac," is undeniably an added attraction.

...and a book store, run by Mr. Rick, who built a kids' castle in the back of the shop stocked with age-appropriate literature, who hosts a summer plant camp for kids, a family game night, and the annual RABL--Reading Aloud of Banned Literature---festival, wherein people volunteer to read aloud much-loved texts like In The Night Kitchen, To Kill a Mockingbird and Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret

Proprietors such as these make their livelihood lovely with their care, their outreach and their inventiveness. We're elated to pay a little extra for service superceding simply merchandise.

So give up the guilt and go ahead; kiss your favorite corporation. Love up your local business. Manage your money accordingly.
post signature

8 comments:

Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

I agree! If I didn't shop Walmart, I wouldn't be able to shop the lovely other stores. And they have such good stuff!

Terra said...

I agree. I have my favorite little stores that I will forever support, but costco - oh how I love thee so..

Nancy said...

Love Target more, but I definitely go to Walmart too :)

You go girl! :)

SouthernDogwoods said...

I used to be a Walmart girl and then we moved to a little city that is lacking a nearby Walmart. Target has become my new favorite but our friendliest store is by far our local Piggly Wiggly. How I adore the Pig : )

Rebecca said...

Local businesses are the best...that part of the reason we joined our CSA too...local farmers to support! I love the RABL idea from your book store!

Cheryl Allen Salinas said...

I love Walmart too! And YOU!

Julia said...

We have this amazing pizza place just around the corner from us the quality is just fantastic they are going out of business because they are competing with the $5 pizza. Its a shame. I wish we could have the best of both worlds. Have the cheap pizza when strapped and get the good gourmet kind when on a date.

Visiting from SITS

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Awesome post, Cheryl!