Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Passionate About the Privilege

Call me crazy -- as if you haven't already started doing so -- but despite the exultant end-of-campaign exhalation all of Bloggy-dom seems to celebrating today, I will miss this political extravaganza. Really, I will.

How I've loved the joint parental egging on of our kids to explain why exactly they favor the candidates they do...and then the good-natured heckling that we plan to vote otherwise -- honoring their opinions by offering detailed explanations of why we favor the candidates we do.

How I've loved that this season -- all two years of it -- my husband and I have been entirely congruent in our assessments of what we believe regarding the issues and their best route for rectification, and the re-establishment of our country. [I'll also miss the ritual frozen margaritas Double Daddy made for the two of us to enjoy during every debate...]

How I have loved that while I don't agree 100% with a single one of the four final names on the ballot, I am 100% convinced that in each of their hearts is a self-sacrificial love and undeniable dedication to the U.S. and her citizens.

The history-making aspect of a woman and an African-American comprising 50% of the top quartet of candidates? Simply icing on the cake.

Sure, we could have voted via absentee ballot, but why? Truth told, I was actually hoping for a wait lengthier than the mere 1 hour+ we experienced this morning.

Our bag was packed with appropriate reading material...

A few snacks (honestly, some crackers and Halloween candy) were thrown in just in case the wait proved newsworthy, and we were ready to participate in the process.

Our polling place is located in an assisted living facility...and since their births, the kids have annually proven to be quite the attraction for what is largely a long gray line, later-in-life voting pool.
After receiving a stick of Juicy Fruit each from the kindly Grandpa-type in front of us ("If I am with you, you can take candy from a stranger"), we patiently waited for our turn. As members of the L-Z line, we reached the machine in just over an hour. Our friend, Ms. B., who had been waiting prior to our arrival, was still waiting as my vote was cast, my "I Voted" sticker received, and our departure from the building proper. Yet, nary a complaint from her -- or any of those wise men and women queued up. They know democracy merits at least the time required to watch a couple episodes of Meet the Press.

Today, I'm thankful...

Darren resisted the temptation to press the touch screen as I was explaining how I was selecting my candidates and casting my vote. Loved his excitement evidenced by shallow hops of glee.

Sarah walked out of her way to go and greet Ms. B., looking her in the eyes and speaking clearly and audibly.

Double Daddy called after he voted early this morning and encouraged me to write-in "Spongebob" (as he did) in protest of a district representative neither of us agree with who's running unopposed. Great fun to explain "write-in," "unopposed," "protest" and "a far better sponge for the job" to the kids.

God Bless America.
post signature

13 comments:

Tracy said...

LOVE the picture of you three. :) I'm with you...I'm going to miss all this when it's over, though you are a lucky woman with the margaritas!

Laughed out loud at the write in vote. Too funny.

Gail said...

I'm sitting here watching the returns, hating and loving that it's almost over, and I run across your post. You make me smile all the time.

And --- Yep, I was giggling at the spongebob write in too! lol You guys ARE nuts, but that's what makes you lovable!

Your kiddos are so cute. I really didn't realize (until that last photo there) that Sarah has your smile!

Christy said...

I love that you voted for Spongebob! I hope he gets it! LOL

Cynthia said...

I love the Spongebob vote! It makes me crazy how many local races end up unopposed leaving us with no choice whatsoever.
I love the picture of the three of you, by the way. :-)

Deanna said...

Spongebob...too cute!!!

That picture is amazing of the 3 of you --I LOVE it!!!

Thank you for stopping by even though you didn't play along --the thought meant alot!

Oh, and I did vote today too!! :)

Jen said...

I just love that you included your kids in the election topics & voting! We did the same & I was so happy to converse with Hannah over the candidates. It was really neat for her to see how the voting process works... she really seemed to enjoy being a part of that!

Donna said...

I love your family! I love your togetherness and sharing in life's experineces. Yay!

What a special post. Spongebob!?! Now that's good stuff! LOL

Laura said...

I love your enthusiasm
But I have to say that I am glad it's over. (Not your enthusiasm- the campaign,Silly.)

cat said...

Love the picture of your 3! And absolutely love the gratitude parts of your post. Do you mind if I copy?

Brooke said...

Great pic of you guys! What a fun way to get them involved. I did the absentee ballot, Braeden was able to get an up close look and fill in a bubble.

Would have been nice to have him go to the polls with me, but I didn't feel like I would be able to concentrate on making my choices if the lines were long and the babies were cranky. Glad I decided this because I was soo sick yesterday I didn't even get out of my pjs, barely able to hold up my head.

My dh worked the polls so it was a long day for me...Cheerios for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Bad mommy!

When they are 5 and Braeden is 10 in 2012 they can all join me.

Rebecca said...

The pictures are great. I completely ignored nap time yesterday to go vote...they'll understand when they're older, but Hailey didn't get it at all last night when she was completely overtired!

Just me said...

LOL Laughing that you voted for Spongebob! I wrote in Mickey Mouse one time a few years ago and felt bad later about it. You are the first person I have heard doing it too! I feel better now!
LOL Great blog:) I have twins too:) Twins and two actually!

Kim H. said...

Okay, just have to say how fun is your polling place. I'll bet the little old people loved seeing your beautiful kids. And what a beautiful picture of the kids - and what a great memory you made with them.

Hugs!