Thursday, October 15, 2009

Glories Untold

Behold----the flame-fanning dissertation on objects overrated at long last has its similarly sensationalistic counterpart. Yin? Here's your yang.

Please peruse this panoply as my earnest endeavor to uplift the unsung, delight the downtrodden, and right the reputation of the wrongly ridiculed. (Alliteration? Underrated!)

Without hesitation or equivocation, I offer the following for your consideration---and validation.
(Rhyming? Underrated!)

Circus Peanuts

Pluto
(the defrocked planet, not Mickey's dog)

Dansko closed-back clogs


Good penmanship

Hair Cuttery

Asti Spumante


The Walmart Shopping Experience

Christopher Hitchens
(not his personal beliefs so much as his unparalleled eloquence)

TV with no TiVO or DVR

A post-sneeze "God Bless You!"
(not "Gesundheit" or other alternate acknowledgment)

Agree? Disagree? Have personal penchants you've squirrelled away for fear of derision or worse, the pooh-pooh-ing of your peers?
Come out, come out wherever you are...

post signature

11 comments:

Bethany said...

Ohhh I love circus peanuts! I haven't had them in forever! Poor Pluto, though. Are they really teaching kids there are only 8 planets? Seems so weird!

cat said...

I am very sad of the "demise" of Pluto - used to be my favorite littlest planet.

Laura said...

Ah, circus peanuts. The grossest of the gross candy.
But, my mother loves them too so I have a soft spot in my heart for circus peanut lovers.

SouthernDogwoods said...

Amen to Pluto! Why oh why did they take pluto away??!?!
I sadly have never had a circus peanuts. I have to try them one day.
Great list!

Tracy said...

What a fun list! Now, this one might not get as many arguments because it's the flip side...people won't feel the need to shoot them down like they felt the need to defend some of their favorite items.

I have to agree with "God Bless You." My MIL says Gesundheit every time one of my kiddos sneeze and I cringe. Then I add my own, "God bless you."

monica said...

Great list! Very funny...and yes poor pluto!

More Than Words said...

Oh my gosh, my husband loves circus peanuts! I could never get into those.

Nancy said...

Hm. I think that I'm in love with my DVR...so I'd have to disagree with you there. With young-ish kids there's no way I'd be able to watch anything that started at 8pm.

mommytoalot said...

Ohh circus peanuts are yummy

Sydney said...

Circus Peanuts - Blech. Never ever liked them... not even as a kid. Neat to look at, gross to eat.

Pluto - I just feel bad for the planet Pluto. Not that I'll ever see it up close.

Good penmanship - Highly overrated, especially in this digital age. It's important to be able to write legibly, yes. But I was AWFUL at handwriting in school... actually got a "fail" on it in grade school one semester. But I've managed to earn a double BA and a Master's Degree... even though my handwriting stinks!

Asti Spumante - MMMM! We served this for our wedding toast instead of champagne. All the guests kept commenting "this is the best champagne I've ever had." Yeah, because it's not champagne! I think champagne is overrated.

The Walmart Shopping Experience - depends on the day. If it's crowded with the usual Wal-mart types I get frustrated, but if I can zip in, zip out and stick to my list, I usually end up saving $$$.

TV with no TiVO or DVR - I can't imagine life without my DVR. It has truly set me free.

Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

-love me some circus peanuts!
-call me crazy, but I'll be teaching the kids about Pluto, as a planet -- it's so weird not to!
- I've had my open backed Dansko clogs for 6 years -- millions of nurses can't be wrong! They are the shoe of choice where I work.
- I'm impressed by good penmanship, but even more so by good grammar.
- am I a dork? Hair cuttery? like getting your hair cut?
-Asti -- love it!
- Walmart .... sigh. Love the prices, but have you seen the "People of WalMart" site?
I don't know who Hitchens is, and we don't have cable, so no Tivo/DVR