Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Correspondence Gone Classic

My name is Cheryl, and I'm a former stationery store stalker.

Greeting cards that struck a chord would be acquired, even if no pending occasion precipitated the purchase. When my man recently purged our extra-room closet, he unearthed an impressive trove of squirreled away Hallmarks. He was justly irritated; why had I spent the cash and not the time to send them?

Facebook. Email. Skype. IMs. The elimination of long-distance charges. So many modern means ease and expedite our communication. Then last week, I receved a special package in my mailbox...from the Hallmark folks themselves. This line in the enclosure hit home: "Few things compare with the feeling of giving and receiving an unexpected handwritten note in the mail---that lift you get when you notice a card among the junk mail and catalogs."

How true is that? Even my tech-enamored twins leap to attention when we see something personal peeking out from the daily postal deliveries.

With glee, I am participating in the Hallmark* "Get Carded Challenge."
(*a beloved brand even before they gave me 14+ "just because" cards!)

For seven days, under the signature line, we'll select special recipients for special greetings....and we'll give a glimpse of the goings-out.

Our first, a special one, heads to a special lady---moving to a seniors' community this weekend after 37 years in the same apartment in which my brother and I were raised.




Think this may be a challenge I embrace for the long-term....

If you would like to receive a group of greetings from the kings of correspondence at Hallmark, make a comment within the duration of the next seven days. One commenter will be selected at random to win a packet of cards similar to the one we're enjoying for "Get Carded" and beyond.

post signature

8 comments:

Kim said...

You are actually reminding me that I wanted to send postcards to our family & a few friends while on vacation! I always loved getting postcards in the mail from far away places...but its been too easy to just send them a picture text. Off to the nearest postcard selling store I go!

Christy said...

I love, love, love cards. I love sending them, and I love getting them in the mail. Always such a happy surprise! Just yesterday, I also found a big ol' pile of cards that truly need sending... and then I can buy more!!! :)

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I love stationery and cards and paper and...I hope I'm the one that gets to organize that pile of stuff at our house instead of my hubby! :)

I still try to send birthday cards and thank-you cards through the mail. There's definitely something special about knowing someone has taken the time to actually write a greeting! :)

Rochelle@AFamilyofLooneys said...

I love getting cards. Lately it has been so easy to just send someone an email about their birthday. This reminds me to take the take and send a card instead.

Meet the Smiths said...

I love getting cards in the mail..and I try to send some out at least once a month. It does kinda help that I have a big family and there seems to be someone's birthday each month...but I still try to send something handwritten.

Before kids, I used to spend most of my free time in the Hallmark store reading the "Out of the Blue" cards (I think they were 99cents each) I've finally used all of mine...time to restock..if they only made the "out of the blue" cards :)

Terra said...

When we get back from vacation I am so umping on this band wagon. I am going to have the girls mail a letter to someone every month...My oldest writes with her Great Grandfather but this will be even better!!!

Tracey said...

You are always the Hallmark queen to me! Great news for your mom...hope all goes well with the transition.

Unknown said...

I love those simple ones to just say hi! Almost seems even more special than sending a card for an occasion!